Monday, August 18, 2008

One Night Only...

(<--- Nakita. Don't let the SWEET look fool you!)
I've never been one for violence. I'm a gentle spirit with a kind heart. I wouldn't dare lift a hand to hurt a fly; however, in this less-than-perfect world we live in, I have recently found that I cannot assume that everyone is like me... Enter Nakita... she is our dear sweet intern, who until recently, I thought had no mean bone in her body, but when I failed to blog about a once in a lifetime experience I had a few weeks ago, I saw another side to Nakita I thought unimaginable. I became scared... fearful for my life and safety; thus, in order to save myself from a beat down and untimely death, I must blog about ONE NIGHT ONLY!
About 3 weeks ago, I had the privilege to work backstage at our station's soul-session with Ray Lavender and Jennifer Hudson. As usual, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, on a mission to prove why I should remain employed with my present employer.
The backstage experience is ALWAYS electric! Consistent chatter, men and women gathered in dark corners buzzing about the next tour date or that background singer who's weave isn't quite right... and let's not forget the hungry band members who swam the hospitality suites like rabid scavengers searching for their next feed. To top it all off, the industry execs walk about in slow motion and deep thought granting passers-by with a simple nod to replace verbal acknowledgement. Yes, being and working backstage is a life in and of itself. With so much going on, you barely, if ever, get a chance to really see actual performances or what's occurring in front of the audience... thus, my story begins.


So, there I was, clipboard in hand, trying to determine my host's next move, when J-Hud starts singing one of my all time faves, AND I AM TELLING YOU! Like a pro, the J-Ster did not disappoint as she sang each note as if it were the record itself. Upon the quickest glance, everyone backstage, including me, was paralyzed in awe. Jaws dropped, arms and hands flailing in the air, shouts of "YOU BETTA SANG GURL..." (and those who know me, knows that shout came from me)... Point blank, J-Hud was tearing it up!
Now, as with any concert, the audience, 9 times out of 10, is going to sing along with the performance. This night was no exception... in fact, I believe the audience might have been singing louder than J-Boogie. So, she recognized that and decided to call people out. Before you knew it, she was at the edge of the stage holding the mic out to willing participants who had no hesitation to either make their singing debut, or confirm their recent diagnosis of the COMMON FOOL SYNDROME.
After about 7 people blessed the mic, I found myself being pushed from backstage. Like two evil stepsisters, famed Atlanta poet, ARMENTHA/LEARICAL JONEZ, and my mentor & host for the evening, JOYCE LITTEL, collectively pushed me from behind and pulled me onto the stage! Before I knew it, I was standing next to J-J! Now, I've never REALLY been afraid of a crowd, but given the context of the evening and the level of stardom that was, at this point, handing me the mic, I'll admit, was a tad bit intimidating! But, the show must go on, right?!
Jenny from the block gave me a once over and said to the audience, "I can tell right now, I just need to go in a corner and sit down because she is about to BLOW!" I felt it an honor to hear those words, but her next statement threw me... She said, "Look at her, she's got her 'Church Lady' dress on an everything." Now, ladies and gentlemen... I have always lived the GLAMOROUS LIFE of a self-proclaimed DIVA! That night, I thought I my little black dress ensemble was cute... but I guess my HOLY GHOST LIGHT was shining and caused the attire to appear pristine... no worries... I'm still fly!
ANYWAY, she handed me the mic, I closed my eyes, and then it happened... I opened my mouth to sing (I guess I should say that I was singing the ending of AND I AM TELLING YOU) and all I remember was the crowd going crazy (in a GOOD, YOU BETTA SANG way), J-Boogie snatching the mic ('cause I was stealing her shine!! LOL), and me running off the stage!!


It was all a blur! As I was running off the stage, I hear J-Hovasina say, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I'M THE STAR HERE!" The crowd was still clapping & screaming! My boss, who we affectionately call BIG DAWG, came up to me and told me that I could be on tour tomorrow, members of the promotions team came to the back with their mouths dropped like, FOOL, YOU DIDN'T TELL US YOU COULD SING... (Ms. Denise is still mad at me), and a dozen accolades from fellow backstagers! It was truly a GREAT EXPERIENCE!


So, the performance was not taped that night, but I'm going to hunt down Freddy-O who took all the pics. I know he's got one of me and J-Town after the show was over!


Yes, grasshoppers, it was a GRAND TIME... truly a lifetime of excitement for ONE NIGHT ONLY!
There, Nakita... ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Can,
    I can't believe that you are perpretating a non-singer. With that anointed voice? Don't have me pull out the fair well song to RMS. You know that you can sang gurl. By the way...little O James is trying out for ...yup...American Idol. Be blessed.
    Love ya - Neene

    ReplyDelete